Appraisal for managers
This half day appraisal workshop aims to equip managers and supervisors with the necessary skills required to carry out an effective performance review with their staff. There will be strong emphasis on setting SMARTR objectives and providing effective feedback that will assist you in measuring your team's performance.
Appraisal Training for Staff
This half day workshop will equip staff with the necessary skills required to effectively prepare for their annual performance review. There is a strong emphasis on the communication skills required to have an effective performance discussion as well as the opportunity to practice writing performance objectives.
This half day highly participative workshop in which delegates will learn about the importance of effective communication and some of the tools and techniques that can be used to improve the way you communicate with others.
It can be difficult to know that a complaint has been made about you or a member of your team. It can be equally difficult to investigate such complaints, especially if you have never been involved in a complaint or an investigation before.
The Central Complaints Team delivers practical/virtual workshops on complaints handling across the Trust, to equip staff with the skills for dealing with complaints - the below modules are covered during the session:
- Patient Complaint Training- Investigating complaint
- Patient Complaint Training- Writing a good response
- Patient Complaints Training- Conducting a local resolution meeting
- Patient Complaints Training- Regulations, policy and independent reviews
- Patient Complaints Training- Using datix for caseload management
Customer care training
This half day workshop, described by an attendee as “the best customer care workshop I’ve been on” explores the way in which we communicate with our patients, visitors and colleagues, using a theatre forum approach. Participants will watch professional actors play out different scenarios taken from patient feedback and then have the opportunity to replay what they have seen making positive changes along the way until an agreeable solution is found.
This workshop will enable you to understand your own behavioural styles and those of others, and also help you develop achievable techniques for communicating and behaving more assertively. You will learn how to be firm but fair and say 'no' when you need to.
Interview skills workshop
This half day workshop takes a practical approach to help participants prepare for a job interview. There will be a strong emphasis on communication skills and the skills needed in handling interview questions in a confident manner.
Additional Information: Can you to bring a copy of a job description and person specification of a job that you would like to apply for. This is used as resources for a group activity.
Introduction to Medical Terminology
This session gives admin and clerical staff an understanding of general medical terminology. It offers an awareness of clinical services for all those working within healthcare.
Learning Disability Training – Tier 2
For people with responsibility for providing care and support for and / or people who have a learning disability but who could seek support from others for complex management or complex decision-making E.G Doctors, nurses, dentists, Physiotherapists’, HCA’s, support workers.
Tier 2 course duration: Full day
Tier 2 course content will include all of Tier one, plus
- The difference between a learning disability and a learning difficulty
- Identification & Assessment of learning disabilities
- Causes of learning disability
- Facts and General Statistics
- Death by indifference
- Confidential Inquiry into Premature Deaths of people with a learning disability (CIPOLD)
- Learning disability mortality review (LeDeR)
- Learning from LeDeR
- Common health issues for people with a learning disability
- Diagnostic overshadowing
- Implicit attitudes and unconscious bias- case studies
- Do not attempt to resuscitate – DNAR case- law
- Stopping over-medicating people with learning disabilities (STOMP)
- The Mental Capacity Act; Human Rights Act; Autism Act
- The Equality Act 2010 - reasonable adjustments
- Alternative communication methods
- Annual health checks
- Hospital Passports
Learning Disability Training – Tier 1
For people who require a general understanding of learning disabilities, and the support people may need. E.G Receptionists, porters, security staff
Tier 1 course duration: Half day
Tier 1 course content will include:
- What is a learning disability?
- Implicit attitudes and unconscious bias
- How to see invisible disability?
- Reasonable adjustments- what are they and how to make them
- Annual health checks
- Hospital passport’s
LGBTQ+ Ally Programme
Overview: What does it mean to be an LGBTQ+ ally? Learn how can you can help support and advocate for your LGBTQ+ colleagues and patients.
What should I expect? A friendly, relaxed learning environment with an emphasis on shared experience. LGBTQ+ 101 and raising your awareness of health inequalities in the UK. We welcome your questions and feedback.
Who is it for? Everyone and anyone who works at Barts Health. Student nurses currently on placement at Barts Health also welcome to apply.
Contact Details - email@example.com
Minutes of a Meeting
The course identifies the skills needed for producing minutes and is highly participative and made up of small and whole group exercises. All participants will be given the opportunity to write a set of minutes and to receive individual feedback on their work.
NHS Pension Update - Virtual Seminars
NHS Pension Update - Virtual Seminars
This is a new service introduced to ensure that yourself & all your colleagues are fully supported with all NHS Pension advice or queries during the Coronavirus period.
The session will be delivered virtually through MS Teams
The emphasis of this programme will be on participatory learning. During the day participants will give at least one presentation and receive feedback from the trainer and other participants. Where available, presentations may be subject to video playback in order to assist with learning.
QA level 3 award in Emergency First Aid at Work
During this 1 day course, Learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of emergency first aid situations, including: managing an unresponsive casualty, CPR, choking, shock, wounds and bleeding and minor injuries.
Successful Learners will receive a personalised QA Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (RQF) e-Certificate immediately after their results have been submitted. The certificate lasts for 3 years .
Suitable for - Non – Clinical staff and Pathology and Pharmacy staff
Safety Intervention (SI) Training (formerly MAPA)
- Identify behaviour that indicates an escalation towards aggressive and violent behaviour and take appropriate measures to avoid, decelerate and/or de-escalate crisis situations.
- Assess the level of risk associated with crisis behaviour and make appropriate decisions related to the management of such risks.
- Identify suitable and acceptable physical interventions to reduce or manage risk behaviour
- Identify the impact of crisis events and describe post crisis responses which can be used for personal and organisational support and learning
Please note there is a physical activity as part of the programme - please ensure you wear suitable clothing/footware on the day.
Serious Incident Investigation Training
This one-day serious incident investigations course offers candidates the chance to develop the skills and abilities necessary to undertake an effective serious incident investigation. This interactive training course will provide participants with an understanding of the serious incident investigation process, including root cause analysis, in order to be able to undertake an effective investigation. It will use examples to illustrate the implementation of serious incident investigation practices as well as examples of effective working with patient/ families, staff involved and writing effective investigation reports
Time management workshop
This workshop will provide staff with a range of tools and techniques to enable them to manage their time more effectively. Suitable for all staff.
Together Apart – The Psychology of Covid 19
Worries and uncertainties about personal safety and the lack of PPE; overwhelming workloads; case complexity; inadequate support and the impact on our families health, are among the psychological stressors reported by health care staff during the pandemic.
This highly practical workshop will include presentations, discussion and experiential exercises. It will also draw on real life example of staff who worked here during the pandemic which will resonate with those who attend and prepare the way to look at positive strategies for psychological self-care and wellness.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:-
- Understand the normal psychological responses experienced by frontline staff during pandemic situations
- Recognise the psychological impact of physical distancing and physical barriers (PPE)
- Be aware of signs of distress in oneself and colleagues and how one might best respond to them
- Develop a workable personal plan for psychological self-care
Recognise the range of options available for psychological support and when to use or access them
** A light lunch will be provided for participants at 12:30 to enable the workshop to begin at 12:50 prompt **
Train the trainer
A 3 day course designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills required to train and teach in your area/specialism. Topics include planning and delivery with varied learning styles, classroom management and direction to keep your learners engaged.
Delivered by two professionally qualified teachers, you will be participating in group work, learning activities with a 15 minute micro teach session delivered by you on day 3 to demonstrate your skills and learning from the previous 2 days. This course has been certified by CPD UK (certificate number A002997) and has a value of 21 CPD hours.
Pre course work needs to be completed before attending course. Please see confirmation email for pre course work.