Learn a safe, methodical approach to undertaking peripheral intravenous Cannulation and Venepuncture of children (under age of 16).
Please read all the information in the more information/pre-course work and resources prior to attend the course.
Candidates not completing all the required pre-course work will not be permitted into the session.
Professionally registered healthcare practitioners designated assistant practitioners and health care support workers who will be undertaking peripheral IV cannulation and venepuncture/phlebotomy of children.
- Recognises role and professional responsibilities related with the safe intravenous Cannulation & Venepuncture practice on children under age 16
- Identifies the relevant anatomy and common sites to undertake peripheral intravenous cannulation and venepuncture on children under age of 16
- Understanding the process of obtaining valid consent from child; parents/guardians/carers
- Understanding the required preparation prior to the procedure
- Summarises the risks of intravenous Cannulation & venepuncture and the importance of safe technique (ANTT)
- Demonstrates a safe approach to peripheral intravenous cannulation and venepuncture
This course is a morning half day session consisting of:
- Infection Control & ANTT/Practical
- Therapeutic Hold and Consent
- The role of the play Specialist and distraction
- Topical analgesia
- Cannulation demonstration and practice
- Venepuncture demonstration and practice
For enquiries regarding this course please contact:
Oluwafiropo (Ropo) Olaofe - Nurse Education Practitioner
Ana Santos - Nurse Education Practitioner
Bart’s NHS Trust ana.santos5@Bart’shealth.nhs.uk
Maria Vinas- Nurse Education Practitioner
Bart’s NHS Trust maria.Vinas@Bart’shealth.nhs.uk
There is pre-reading required - MUST BE DONE BEFORE ATTENDING THE COURSE
Please bring a prove of evidence to the face to face session once you have completed the e-learning modules. (screenshot; paper or electronic evidence are both accepted)
Completion of Venepuncture and Cannulation competency
You will need to create an account the first time you access it. The Training consists of 8 modules, you must complete, and you need to achieve an overall score of 70%.
Access via this link: https://bd.elmg.net/?rc=621a9a4f7e23e646a93d0336e3072dbf
Cannulation e-learning (New e-learning implemented in February 2021)
You will receive the eLearning link from BBraun with Username and Password details, after you booked your study leave. The link will be sent by BBraun to the same email address that you use during the booking process.
Please bring a prove of evidence to the face to face session once you have completed the e-learning modules.