Professionally registered healthcare practitioners designated assistant practitioners and health care support workers who will be undertaking peripheral IV cannulation and venepuncture/phlebotomy of children.
- Recognises role and professional responsibilities related with the safe intravenous Cannulation & Venepuncture practice on children under age 16
- Identifies the relevant anatomy and common sites to undertake peripheral intravenous cannulation and venepuncture on children under age of 16
- Understanding the process of obtaining valid consent from child; parents/guardians/carers
- Understanding the required preparation prior to the procedure
- Summarises the risks of intravenous Cannulation & venepuncture and the importance of safe technique (ANTT)
- Demonstrates a safe approach to peripheral intravenous cannulation and venepuncture
This course is a morning half day session consisting of:
- Infection Control & ANTT/Practical
- Therapeutic Hold and Consent
- The role of the play Specialist and distraction
- Topical analgesia
- Cannulation demonstration and practice
- Venepuncture demonstration and practice
For enquiries regarding this course please contact:
Oluwafiropo (Ropo) Olaofe - Nurse Education Practitioner
Ana Santos - Nurse Education Practitioner
Bart’s NHS Trust ana.santos5@Bart’shealth.nhs.uk
Maria Vinas- Nurse Education Practitioner
Bart’s NHS Trust maria.Vinas@Bart’shealth.nhs.uk
Mandatory V&C e-learning
Staff must complete the cannulation and venepuncture e-learning before booking/attending the session.
Please bring a prove of evidence to the face to face session once you have completed the e-learning modules.
- E-Learning pass score of >70%
- Practical Assessment during training
Completion of Venepuncture and Cannulation competency
You will need to create an account the first time you access it. The Training consists of 8 modules, you must complete, and you need to achieve an overall score of 70%.
Access via this link: https://bd.elmg.net/?rc=621a9a4f7e23e646a93d0336e3072dbf
It is recommended that staff complete the e-learning cannulation course before booking/attending the session with a pass score of over 70%. Staff will require their ESR cards to do the e-learning course. Attendees can print a screen page or take a photo shot of their results as evidence if they want to.
The e-learning Module is:
000 B. Braun Peripheral Cannulation e-Learning Theory Module
Click on below link: