The SIREN course teaches nursing staff how to anticipate, recognise and prevent critical illness at an early stage. A structured approach to assessment is undertaken to permit appropriate action in treating the acutely unwell. Communication training using the SBAR tool is covered. There is an assessable OSCE which reviews recognition, assessment and communication.
- Suitable for
- Learning outcomes
- Outline programme
- Pre-course work and Resources
- Dates, time and venues
Designed for clinical staff (non-paediatric nursing, physiotherapists, trainee ODP’s)
- Demonstrate a competent Airway to Exposure assessment
- Recognition of abnormal values and the ability to interpret these values in the context of individual patients
- Recognise the patient diagnosis
- Formulate a management plan appropriate to the assessment findings
- Demonstrate the delivery of an effective SBAR handover
Patient case studies will be utilised to structure A-E assessments and management plans, calculate NEWS and confirm diagnoses. SBAR will be discussed as a communication tool and implemented to enhance timely escalation and response.
Acute Care Skills Practice Facilitators with nursing and AHP specialists
Please log into Moodle https://education.bartshealth.nhs.uk/moodlelive for all Acute Care Skills courses to access mandatory pre-reading and pre course MCQs and course resources
All available dates can be viewed under 'Book now' option